Monday, May 11, 2009

May 11th, 2009

Hi Dale, Sarah, and Lorri! This is the big debut for your "Hoosier Home" blog . . . my effort to keep you up-to-date on what's happening around here. I'll try to include a wide variety of pictures and "people stories" to help you feel aware of what's happening in our lives. This is intended for our family, but if you want others to read it, that will be fine, too, of course. I figured that this will help keep Calvin up-to-date as well.

I took some pictures of the condition of our front room so that you can see the progress made thus far and in hopes of comparing the "after" pictures. I have colors selected already and Donna Stabler has promised to help me paint. Kim Foy does a super job with decorating, so when it comes to putting some of that together, I'll ask her for some advice. I don't know if we told you that Grandma S. had purchased a dining room set for a very, very good price. It's mahogany, and should fit nicely in the "formal dining" area (previously the office area), and we should be able to leave it set up nicely all the time. Having the front room open should also help us to be able to enjoy the fireplace. It has always been so awkward, so I hope the new layout will make it more user-friendly. Even with the mess, I appreciate the openness enough to not be bother by it very much.

Dad is back in the CC working on one of the ponds to help make sure it's flowing well enough. He has worked on his truck today since we're waiting on Uncle Mike to be able to come back to do more mudding on the seems of the dry-wall. It's not that Dad can't do it. Rather, UM is just so good at it and is able to do it so efficiently, that it's pretty silly to try to do what he can do so flawlessly. Additionally, he's the one that will be texturing the walls and ceiling to make it all match what had already been done. I'm not crazy about texturing, but it does need to match, and the alternative is far beyond anything we'd want to spend money to have done. Anyway, Dad was working on his truck to make it more quiet. I think he mounted something on rubber so that it won't rattle so much. Anything to make it more quiet sounds like a good plan to me! I am grateful to have the truck available. It certainly doesn't provide fast transportation, but it's good for hauling things and it's faster than walking or riding a bike when Dad needs to be someplace.

Calvin and Dori started their classes today for May term. Brett Byler is in Dori's Intro to Philosophy class, and Calvin's Environmental Biology class only had eight people in it. Dori's class released 1.5 hours early today (since they hadn't read anything yet), and Calvin's remained for the full five hours . . . a bit longer than Calvin would prefer, to say the least. Anna enjoyed a snow make-up day today, the only one that wasn't used this past winter. She only has twelve days left of school and then she starts summer school shortly after. Marching band and cross country will help her transition into HS as well. There is undoubtedly an advantage for her to have had three older siblings go before her. She's not inclined to have to follow in any of your footsteps, just for the sake of it, but it does help nevertheless.

OK, that's all for now! I'll do my best to stick with this and take enough pictures for you to enjoy the beauty of our changing seasons here in IN! I love you all!



No comments:

Post a Comment